- 1 What should I do if my B12 is low?
- 2 How do you test for B12 deficiency at home?
- 3 How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
- 4 Is B12 deficiency serious?
- 5 What is the best B12 supplement?
- 6 How can I raise my B12 levels fast?
- 7 How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
- 8 What are the symptoms of low B12?
- 9 What causes low B12?
- 10 Can low B12 cause weight gain?
- 11 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 12 What does a B12 deficiency tongue look like?
- 13 What is the best time to take vitamin B12?
- 14 When should I take B12 morning or night?
What should I do if my B12 is low?
You can change your diet to include vitamin B12-fortified grains, a supplement or B12 injections, or a high-dose oral vitamin B12 if you are deficient. Older adults who have a vitamin B12 deficiency will likely have to take a daily B12 supplement or a multivitamin that contains B12.
How do you test for B12 deficiency at home?
There are several ways to test your B-12 levels. You can get your blood drawn or take a home urine test. These tests will look at the levels of your: overall vitamin B-12.
Low B-12 levels can lead to:
- permanent nerve damage.
- deteriorating brain functions.
- memory loss.
- temporary infertility in women.
How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
Is B12 deficiency serious?
If left untreated, the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency tend to worsen and irreversible problems involving the nerves and brain may develop. The risk of experiencing a number of serious complications, including heart failure, may also increase.
What is the best B12 supplement?
The best B12 supplement
- Best B12 supplements of 2020.
- Jarrow Formulas’ Methyl B12: A previous favorite that’s held onto the top spot due to its special methylcobalamin formulation that’s easier to absorb than other types.
How can I raise my B12 levels fast?
To increase the amount of vitamin B12 in your diet, eat more of foods that contain it, such as:
- Beef, liver, and chicken.
- Fish and shellfish such as trout, salmon, tuna fish, and clams.
- Fortified breakfast cereal.
- Low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells. Once B12 reserves reach normal levels, injections of vitamin B12 will be needed every one to three months to prevent symptoms from returning.
What are the symptoms of low B12?
Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency
- a pale yellow tinge to your skin.
- a sore and red tongue (glossitis)
- mouth ulcers.
- pins and needles (paraesthesia)
- changes in the way that you walk and move around.
- disturbed vision.
What causes low B12?
However, the most common cause of vitamin B–12 deficiency anemia is a lack of a substance called intrinsic factor, which can be caused when your immune system mistakenly attacks the stomach cells that produce this substance. This type of anemia is called pernicious anemia.
Can low B12 cause weight gain?
People with vitamin B12 deficiency are likely to experience a wide range of symptoms, though weight gain is unlikely one of them. If you’re experiencing unexplained weight gain, consider discussing it with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian to determine the root cause.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
What does a B12 deficiency tongue look like?
B12 deficiency will also make the tongue sore and beefy-red in color. Glossitis, by causing swelling of the tongue, may also cause the tongue to appear smooth.
What is the best time to take vitamin B12?
Water-soluble vitamins absorb best on an empty stomach. That means taking them first thing in the morning, 30 minutes prior to eating, or two hours after a meal. Water-soluble vitamins dissolve in water so your body can use them. Vitamin C, all B vitamins, and folate (folic acid) are water soluble.
When should I take B12 morning or night?
You may need to take vitamin B-12 separately from the above drugs and supplements — say, one in the morning and one at night — so you can get the full dose of vitamin B-12. Don’t take vitamin B-12 supplements if you have sensitivities or allergies to vitamin B-12, cobalt, and any other ingredients.