- 1 How often can you have B12 injections?
- 2 How long does a B12 shot last?
- 3 Can you take B12 injections weekly?
- 4 What happens if I miss my B12 injection?
- 5 What are the benefits of a B12 injection?
- 6 What is a B12 injection given for?
- 7 How much weight can you lose with B12 injections?
- 8 How do you know if your B12 is low?
- 9 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 10 Are B12 tablets as good as injections?
- 11 How many times a week can you get a B12 shot?
- 12 Who needs B12 injections?
- 13 What are the side effects of B12 injections?
- 14 Can low B12 cause hair loss?
How often can you have B12 injections?
The usual dose for pernicious anemia-associated vitamin B12 deficiency is 100 mcg given as an injection into the muscle or under the skin once daily for 6-7 days. Then the dose may be given every other day for 7 doses followed by every 3-4 days for around 3 weeks. Then, 100 mcg should be injected every month for life.
How long does a B12 shot last?
How long will the effects of a B12 shot last? The effects of our shots vary between individuals. Most people feel the effects for about one week.
Can you take B12 injections weekly?
For the majority of people, I recommend once weekly for 4 weeks. Then B12 shots can be helpful monthly as maintenance. If we are treating autoimmunity or pernicious anemia, you will receive B12 weekly or twice weekly for 6-12 weeks.
What happens if I miss my B12 injection?
If you miss having your injection, the level of vitamin B12 in your body will go down further. This may make your health problems worse. If you do have to miss an appointment, ask your doctor or nurse when you should have the next dose.
What are the benefits of a B12 injection?
An injection of B12 can bring on immediate health benefits.
- Increases Energy Levels and Concentration.
- Improves Metabolism and Helps With Weight Loss.
- Boosts the Immune System.
- Helps Improve Sleep Patterns.
- Helps Stop Certain Types of Hair Loss.
What is a B12 injection given for?
Vitamin B-12 is also added to some foods and is available as a dietary supplement. Vitamin B-12 injections are commonly prescribed to help prevent or treat pernicious anemia and B-12 deficiency.
How much weight can you lose with B12 injections?
“There’s no solid evidence that vitamin B12 injections aid weight loss. … Some weight–loss clinics offer vitamin B12 injections as part of their weight–loss programs. Proponents of vitamin B12 injections say the shots give you more energy and boost your metabolism, helping you shed unwanted pounds.
How do you know if your B12 is low?
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Weakness, tiredness, or lightheadedness.
- Heart palpitations and shortness of breath.
- Pale skin.
- A smooth tongue.
- Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas.
- Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking.
- Vision loss.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
Are B12 tablets as good as injections?
For many people with low B12 levels, a daily supplement in the form of a pill is as effective as taking a monthly muscle injection. The choice of shot or pill depends on the reason for the deficiency. Vitamin B12, found in any food from animals, needs to be released from proteins during digestion.
How many times a week can you get a B12 shot?
Some doctors recommend that anyone can use B12 injections, with a frequency of up to one shot weekly for 4 weeks. If you are using for non-medical reasons, you can make your own choices to determine how often to use B12 injections.
Who needs B12 injections?
Who needs B-12 shots?
- People with signs and symptoms of B-12 deficiency. Anyone who is displaying any of the signs and symptoms of a B-12 deficiency or pernicious anemia should consult their doctor immediately.
- B-12 deficiency risk factors.
- People with gastrointestinal issues.
- Older adults.
- Vegetarians and vegans.
What are the side effects of B12 injections?
B12 shot side effects include, but are not limited to:
- Swelling at the injection site.
- Mild diarrhea.
- Swelling in the body.
- Low potassium.
Can low B12 cause hair loss?
When vitamin B12 levels are low, your hair follicles may not be able to grow new hair as efficiently, resulting in hair loss. A vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause symptoms of anemia, which is associated with low iron levels, hair thinning, and hair loss.