- 1 What foods are high in vitamin B12?
- 2 What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
- 3 What causes vitamin B12 deficiency?
- 4 Which fruits are rich in vitamin B12?
- 5 How can I get B12 naturally?
- 6 Which form of B12 is best?
- 7 How long does B12 deficiency take to correct?
- 8 How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
- 9 When should I take B12 morning or night?
- 10 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 11 What does a B12 deficiency tongue look like?
- 12 Can low B12 cause weight gain?
- 13 Does banana peel have B12?
- 14 How can I get B12 without eating meat?
What foods are high in vitamin B12?
Milk and milk products are good sources of vitamin B12. Many ready-to-eat breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamin B12. Includes a variety of protein foods such as lean meats; poultry; eggs; seafood; beans, peas, and lentils; nuts and seeds; and soy products. Fish and red meat are excellent sources of vitamin B12.
What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
Not having enough B12 can lead to anemia, which means your body does not have enough red blood cells to do the job. This can make you feel weak and tired. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause damage to your nerves and can affect memory and thinking.
What causes vitamin B12 deficiency?
However, the most common cause of vitamin B-12 deficiency anemia is a lack of a substance called intrinsic factor, which can be caused when your immune system mistakenly attacks the stomach cells that produce this substance. This type of anemia is called pernicious anemia.
Which fruits are rich in vitamin B12?
Here’s a list of vitamin B-12 foods to help you meet your nutrition goals:
- Clams. 84.1 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Beef liver. 70.7 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Fortified breakfast cereals. 6.0 mcg per 1/2 cup.
- Salmon. 4.8 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Trout. 3.5 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Milk. 1.2 mcg per cup.
- Yogurt. 1.1 mcg per cup.
- Ham. 0.6 mcg per 3 ounces.
How can I get B12 naturally?
To increase the amount of vitamin B12 in your diet, eat more of foods that contain it, such as:
- Beef, liver, and chicken.
- Fish and shellfish such as trout, salmon, tuna fish, and clams.
- Fortified breakfast cereal.
- Low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
Which form of B12 is best?
The body may absorb cyanocobalamin better, while methylcobalamin has a higher retention rate. Both can prevent B12 deficiency, but methylcobalamin should be combined with adenosylcobalamin for best results.
How long does B12 deficiency take to correct?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells. Once B12 reserves reach normal levels, injections of vitamin B12 will be needed every one to three months to prevent symptoms from returning.
When should I take B12 morning or night?
You may need to take vitamin B-12 separately from the above drugs and supplements — say, one in the morning and one at night — so you can get the full dose of vitamin B-12. Don’t take vitamin B-12 supplements if you have sensitivities or allergies to vitamin B-12, cobalt, and any other ingredients.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
What does a B12 deficiency tongue look like?
B12 deficiency will also make the tongue sore and beefy-red in color. Glossitis, by causing swelling of the tongue, may also cause the tongue to appear smooth.
Can low B12 cause weight gain?
People with vitamin B12 deficiency are likely to experience a wide range of symptoms, though weight gain is unlikely one of them. If you’re experiencing unexplained weight gain, consider discussing it with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian to determine the root cause.
Does banana peel have B12?
And aside from sidestepping some of that prodigious waste, banana peels also have nutritional appeal. “[The skin] contains high amounts of vitamin B6 and B12, as well as magnesium and potassium. It also contains some fiber and protein,” San Diego-based nutritionist Laura Flores tells LiveScience.
How can I get B12 without eating meat?
Top vitamin B12 foods for vegetarians
- Dairy products. Eating dairy products is one of the simplest ways to get enough vitamin B12 in a vegetarian diet.
- Eggs. Another source of B12 for vegetarians is eggs.
- Fortified foods.
- Nutritional yeast.
- Shitake mushroom.