- 1 What causes a B12 deficiency?
- 2 What is vitamin B12 good for?
- 3 What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
- 4 What foods are high in B12?
- 5 When should I take B12 morning or night?
- 6 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 7 How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
- 8 How much B12 should a woman take?
- 9 Does B12 make you gain weight?
- 10 How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
- 11 What is the best B12 supplement?
- 12 Can low B12 cause hair loss?
- 13 How can I get B12 naturally?
- 14 Which fruits and vegetables have vitamin B12?
- 15 What fruits and vegetables have B12?
What causes a B12 deficiency?
However, the most common cause of vitamin B-12 deficiency anemia is a lack of a substance called intrinsic factor, which can be caused when your immune system mistakenly attacks the stomach cells that produce this substance. This type of anemia is called pernicious anemia.
What is vitamin B12 good for?
Vitamin B12 is a nutrient that helps keep the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy and helps make DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Vitamin B12 also helps prevent a type of anemia called megaloblastic anemia that makes people tired and weak. Two steps are required for the body to absorb vitamin B12 from food.
What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency
- a pale yellow tinge to your skin.
- a sore and red tongue (glossitis)
- mouth ulcers.
- pins and needles (paraesthesia)
- changes in the way that you walk and move around.
- disturbed vision.
What foods are high in B12?
Milk and milk products are good sources of vitamin B12. Many ready-to-eat breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamin B12. Includes a variety of protein foods such as lean meats; poultry; eggs; seafood; beans, peas, and lentils; nuts and seeds; and soy products. Fish and red meat are excellent sources of vitamin B12.
When should I take B12 morning or night?
You may need to take vitamin B-12 separately from the above drugs and supplements — say, one in the morning and one at night — so you can get the full dose of vitamin B-12. Don’t take vitamin B-12 supplements if you have sensitivities or allergies to vitamin B-12, cobalt, and any other ingredients.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells. Once B12 reserves reach normal levels, injections of vitamin B12 will be needed every one to three months to prevent symptoms from returning.
How much B12 should a woman take?
The typical general supplemental dose of vitamin B12 is 1-25 mcg per day: The recommended dietary allowances (RDAs) of vitamin B12 are: 1.8 mcg; older children and adults, 2.4 mcg; pregnant women, 2.6 mcg; and breast-feeding women, 2.8 mcg.
Does B12 make you gain weight?
Despite the numerous processes in which vitamin B12 is involved, there’s little evidence to suggest that it has any influence on weight gain or loss.
How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
What is the best B12 supplement?
The best B12 supplement
- Best B12 supplements of 2020.
- Jarrow Formulas’ Methyl B12: A previous favorite that’s held onto the top spot due to its special methylcobalamin formulation that’s easier to absorb than other types.
Can low B12 cause hair loss?
When vitamin B12 levels are low, your hair follicles may not be able to grow new hair as efficiently, resulting in hair loss. A vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause symptoms of anemia, which is associated with low iron levels, hair thinning, and hair loss.
How can I get B12 naturally?
To increase the amount of vitamin B12 in your diet, eat more of foods that contain it, such as:
- Beef, liver, and chicken.
- Fish and shellfish such as trout, salmon, tuna fish, and clams.
- Fortified breakfast cereal.
- Low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
Which fruits and vegetables have vitamin B12?
The top vitamin B-12-rich foods
- Clams. 84.1 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Beef liver. 70.7 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Fortified breakfast cereals. 6.0 mcg per 1/2 cup.
- Salmon. 4.8 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Trout. 3.5 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Milk. 1.2 mcg per cup.
- Yogurt. 1.1 mcg per cup.
- Ham. 0.6 mcg per 3 ounces.
What fruits and vegetables have B12?
Below are 12 healthy foods that are very high in vitamin B12.
- Animal liver and kidneys. Organ meats are some of the most nutritious foods out there.
- Clams. Clams are small, chewy shellfish that are packed with nutrients.
- Fortified cereal.
- Fortified nutritional yeast.