- 1 What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
- 2 How do I get my B12 back to normal?
- 3 What causes low vitamin B12?
- 4 Which fruits and vegetables have vitamin B12?
- 5 What is the best B12 supplement?
- 6 When should I take B12 morning or night?
- 7 Should I be worried if my B12 is high?
- 8 How can I check my B12 level at home?
- 9 How long does B12 deficiency take to correct?
- 10 Can low B12 cause weight gain?
- 11 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 12 Is iron and vitamin B12 the same thing?
- 13 Which vegetable is rich in vitamin B12?
- 14 What foods are high in B12?
What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
Not having enough B12 can lead to anemia, which means your body does not have enough red blood cells to do the job. This can make you feel weak and tired. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause damage to your nerves and can affect memory and thinking.
How do I get my B12 back to normal?
The condition can be reversed by taking oral vitamin B12 supplements and adding foods containing B12. When the anemia is severe and the red blood cell count is extremely low, blood transfusions may be necessary for the first couple of days until the vitamin B12 injections begin working.
What causes low vitamin B12?
However, the most common cause of vitamin B-12 deficiency anemia is a lack of a substance called intrinsic factor, which can be caused when your immune system mistakenly attacks the stomach cells that produce this substance. This type of anemia is called pernicious anemia.
Which fruits and vegetables have vitamin B12?
The top vitamin B-12-rich foods
- Clams. 84.1 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Beef liver. 70.7 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Fortified breakfast cereals. 6.0 mcg per 1/2 cup.
- Salmon. 4.8 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Trout. 3.5 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Milk. 1.2 mcg per cup.
- Yogurt. 1.1 mcg per cup.
- Ham. 0.6 mcg per 3 ounces.
What is the best B12 supplement?
The best B12 supplement
- Best B12 supplements of 2020.
- Jarrow Formulas’ Methyl B12: A previous favorite that’s held onto the top spot due to its special methylcobalamin formulation that’s easier to absorb than other types.
When should I take B12 morning or night?
You may need to take vitamin B-12 separately from the above drugs and supplements — say, one in the morning and one at night — so you can get the full dose of vitamin B-12. Don’t take vitamin B-12 supplements if you have sensitivities or allergies to vitamin B-12, cobalt, and any other ingredients.
Should I be worried if my B12 is high?
Though daily high doses of B12 are unlikely to cause harm in most people, extremely high doses should be avoided unless prescribed by a healthcare professional. If you think you may be deficient in B12, speak with your doctor, who can recommend an appropriate treatment based on your level of deficiency.
How can I check my B12 level at home?
There are several ways to test your B-12 levels. You can get your blood drawn or take a home urine test. These tests will look at the levels of your: overall vitamin B-12.
How long does B12 deficiency take to correct?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
Can low B12 cause weight gain?
People with vitamin B12 deficiency are likely to experience a wide range of symptoms, though weight gain is unlikely one of them. If you’re experiencing unexplained weight gain, consider discussing it with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian to determine the root cause.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
Is iron and vitamin B12 the same thing?
Iron is an important mineral that the body needs to produce red blood cells. Vitamin C improves the absorption of iron from the stomach. Vitamin B12 is important for normal blood, cells, and nerves. Folic acid is needed to form healthy cells, especially red blood cells.
Which vegetable is rich in vitamin B12?
|Meat||Legumes||Fruit and Vegetables|
|liver (best source)||dried beans||spinach|
|kidney||spilt peas (dhals)||brussel sprouts|
|egg yolk||soya products||broccoli|
What foods are high in B12?
Milk and milk products are good sources of vitamin B12. Many ready-to-eat breakfast cereals are fortified with vitamin B12. Includes a variety of protein foods such as lean meats; poultry; eggs; seafood; beans, peas, and lentils; nuts and seeds; and soy products. Fish and red meat are excellent sources of vitamin B12.