- 1 Who needs B12 shots?
- 2 How quickly does B12 shot work?
- 3 What are the side effects of B12 injections?
- 4 How often should B12 injections be given?
- 5 How much does B12 injections cost?
- 6 Does B12 shots help with weight loss?
- 7 How much weight can you lose with B12 injections?
- 8 What to expect after getting a B12 shot?
- 9 Does B12 injections cause weight gain?
- 10 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 11 How do you know if your B12 is low?
- 12 Are B12 shots good for you?
- 13 How often can you get B12 shots for energy?
- 14 Can I give myself my own B12 shots?
Who needs B12 shots?
Who needs B-12 shots?
- People with signs and symptoms of B-12 deficiency. Anyone who is displaying any of the signs and symptoms of a B-12 deficiency or pernicious anemia should consult their doctor immediately.
- B-12 deficiency risk factors.
- People with gastrointestinal issues.
- Older adults.
- Vegetarians and vegans.
How quickly does B12 shot work?
When injections first are administered, a patient with severe symptoms may receive five to seven during the first week to restore the body’s reserves of this nutrient. A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells.
What are the side effects of B12 injections?
B12 shot side effects include, but are not limited to:
- Swelling at the injection site.
- Mild diarrhea.
- Swelling in the body.
- Low potassium.
How often should B12 injections be given?
The usual dose for pernicious anemia-associated vitamin B12 deficiency is 100 mcg given as an injection into the muscle or under the skin once daily for 6-7 days. Then the dose may be given every other day for 7 doses followed by every 3-4 days for around 3 weeks. Then, 100 mcg should be injected every month for life.
How much does B12 injections cost?
The cost of a B12 shot can vary based on your insurance. Typically, they cost about $50-80.
Does B12 shots help with weight loss?
Answer From Brent A. Bauer, M.D. There’s no solid evidence that vitamin B-12 injections aid weight loss. Vitamin B-12 is a water-soluble B complex vitamin found naturally in a variety of foods, including meat, fish and dairy products.
How much weight can you lose with B12 injections?
“There’s no solid evidence that vitamin B12 injections aid weight loss. … Some weight–loss clinics offer vitamin B12 injections as part of their weight–loss programs. Proponents of vitamin B12 injections say the shots give you more energy and boost your metabolism, helping you shed unwanted pounds.
What to expect after getting a B12 shot?
A few mild side effects are associated with the B12 shots, including pain or redness at the injection site, mild diarrhea, itching, or swelling. While these symptoms are usually nothing to worry about, you are advised to contact your health care professional if they persist or worsen.
Does B12 injections cause weight gain?
Despite the numerous processes in which vitamin B12 is involved, there’s little evidence to suggest that it has any influence on weight gain or loss.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
How do you know if your B12 is low?
Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Weakness, tiredness, or lightheadedness.
- Heart palpitations and shortness of breath.
- Pale skin.
- A smooth tongue.
- Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas.
- Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking.
- Vision loss.
Are B12 shots good for you?
Vitamin B12 Shots Are Very Effective
Injections are usually given as hydroxocobalamin or cyanocobalamin. These are very effective at raising blood levels of B12 and preventing/reversing a deficiency. Bottom Line: If you are deficient in vitamin B12, then the injections are very effective at raising your blood levels.
How often can you get B12 shots for energy?
B12 may be injected into a muscle or under the skin at 100 mcg daily for a week, every other day for another week, and then every three or four days for a month. Thereafter, 100 mcg should be injected once a month for life.
Can I give myself my own B12 shots?
The thigh is the most common injection site for intramuscular self-injections, but one may also inject the vitamin B12 shot at the shoulder and the upper buttocks. Experienced doctors commonly give a B12 shot in the deltoid muscle, but this is more difficult to do if you are just learning.