- 1 What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
- 2 What causes low vitamin B12?
- 3 Can you live without B12?
- 4 What medications should not be taken with B12?
- 5 What food is high in B12?
- 6 When should I take B12 morning or night?
- 7 What fruits and vegetables are high in vitamin B12?
- 8 How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
- 9 Should you take B12 everyday?
- 10 How do vegetarians get B12?
- 11 Does alcohol destroy B12?
- 12 How long can you take vitamin B12 for?
- 13 What is the best form of vitamin B12?
- 14 Does B12 give you energy?
What happens when your vitamin B12 is low?
Not having enough B12 can lead to anemia, which means your body does not have enough red blood cells to do the job. This can make you feel weak and tired. Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause damage to your nerves and can affect memory and thinking.
What causes low vitamin B12?
However, the most common cause of vitamin B-12 deficiency anemia is a lack of a substance called intrinsic factor, which can be caused when your immune system mistakenly attacks the stomach cells that produce this substance. This type of anemia is called pernicious anemia.
Can you live without B12?
If left untreated, the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency tend to worsen and irreversible problems involving the nerves and brain may develop. The risk of experiencing a number of serious complications, including heart failure, may also increase.
What medications should not be taken with B12?
Certain medications can decrease the absorption of vitamin B12, including: colchicine, metformin, extended-release potassium products, antibiotics (such as gentamicin, neomycin, tobramycin), anti-seizure medications (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, primidone), medications to treat heartburn (such as H2 blockers
What food is high in B12?
To increase the amount of vitamin B12 in your diet, eat more of foods that contain it, such as:
- Beef, liver, and chicken.
- Fish and shellfish such as trout, salmon, tuna fish, and clams.
- Fortified breakfast cereal.
- Low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
When should I take B12 morning or night?
You may need to take vitamin B-12 separately from the above drugs and supplements — say, one in the morning and one at night — so you can get the full dose of vitamin B-12. Don’t take vitamin B-12 supplements if you have sensitivities or allergies to vitamin B-12, cobalt, and any other ingredients.
What fruits and vegetables are high in vitamin B12?
Below are 12 healthy foods that are very high in vitamin B12.
- Animal liver and kidneys. Organ meats are some of the most nutritious foods out there.
- Clams. Clams are small, chewy shellfish that are packed with nutrients.
- Fortified cereal.
- Fortified nutritional yeast.
How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells. Once B12 reserves reach normal levels, injections of vitamin B12 will be needed every one to three months to prevent symptoms from returning.
Should you take B12 everyday?
The recommended daily intake (RDI) for vitamin B12 for people over 14 is 2.4 mcg (1). However, you may want to take more or less, depending on your age, lifestyle, and specific situation.
How do vegetarians get B12?
Top vitamin B12 foods for vegetarians
- Dairy products. Eating dairy products is one of the simplest ways to get enough vitamin B12 in a vegetarian diet.
- Eggs. Another source of B12 for vegetarians is eggs.
- Fortified foods.
- Nutritional yeast.
- Shitake mushroom.
Does alcohol destroy B12?
The presence of significant amounts of alcohol in your body can also directly destroy all members of the B vitamin family. In addition to B9 and B12, this family includes B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B5 (pantothenic acid) and B6 (pyridoxine).
How long can you take vitamin B12 for?
The usual dose for pernicious anemia-associated vitamin B12 deficiency is 100 mcg given as an injection into the muscle or under the skin once daily for 6-7 days. Then the dose may be given every other day for 7 doses followed by every 3-4 days for around 3 weeks.
What is the best form of vitamin B12?
* Please note that cyanocobalamin is the form of B12 most used in supplements because it’s the cheapest and while we’ve presented methylcobalamin as the superior form both are excellent at providing nutritionally valuable quantities of Vitamin B12 to the body.
Does B12 give you energy?
Vitamin B12 is involved in energy production in your body. Taking a supplement may improve your energy level, but only if you‘re deficient in this vitamin.