- 1 Which foods are high in vitamin B12?
- 2 What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
- 3 How can I get vitamin B12?
- 4 Which fruits and vegetables have vitamin B12?
- 5 Which form of B12 is best?
- 6 When should I take B12 morning or night?
- 7 How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
- 8 How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
- 9 Does B12 deficiency cause joint pain?
Which foods are high in vitamin B12?
To increase the amount of vitamin B12 in your diet, eat more of foods that contain it, such as:
- Beef, liver, and chicken.
- Fish and shellfish such as trout, salmon, tuna fish, and clams.
- Fortified breakfast cereal.
- Low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese.
What are the symptoms of B12 deficiency?
Symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency
- a pale yellow tinge to your skin.
- a sore and red tongue (glossitis)
- mouth ulcers.
- pins and needles (paraesthesia)
- changes in the way that you walk and move around.
- disturbed vision.
How can I get vitamin B12?
You can get recommended amounts of vitamin B12 by eating a variety of foods including the following:
- Beef liver and clams, which are the best sources of vitamin B12.
- Fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and other dairy products, which also contain vitamin B12.
Which fruits and vegetables have vitamin B12?
The top vitamin B-12-rich foods
- Clams. 84.1 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Beef liver. 70.7 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Fortified breakfast cereals. 6.0 mcg per 1/2 cup.
- Salmon. 4.8 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Trout. 3.5 mcg per 3 ounces.
- Milk. 1.2 mcg per cup.
- Yogurt. 1.1 mcg per cup.
- Ham. 0.6 mcg per 3 ounces.
Which form of B12 is best?
The body may absorb cyanocobalamin better, while methylcobalamin has a higher retention rate. Both can prevent B12 deficiency, but methylcobalamin should be combined with adenosylcobalamin for best results.
When should I take B12 morning or night?
You may need to take vitamin B-12 separately from the above drugs and supplements — say, one in the morning and one at night — so you can get the full dose of vitamin B-12. Don’t take vitamin B-12 supplements if you have sensitivities or allergies to vitamin B-12, cobalt, and any other ingredients.
How long does it take to recover from B12 deficiency?
Recovery from vitamin B12 deficiency takes time and you may not experience any improvement during the first few months of treatment. Improvement may be gradual and may continue for up to six to 12 months.
How long does it take for B12 supplements to work?
A response usually is seen within 48 to 72 hours, with brisk production of new red blood cells. Once B12 reserves reach normal levels, injections of vitamin B12 will be needed every one to three months to prevent symptoms from returning.
Does B12 deficiency cause joint pain?
The drop in Vitamin B12 was a major cause for her health-related issues, suggested doctors. Speaking to Sakal Times, Dr Neeraj Adkar, an orthopedist with the Saishree Hospital, said that vitamin B12 deficiency leads to pernicious anaemia, with knee pain.